Monday, July 21, 2008

The Mimosa Tree

Part of my series to learning to identify local flora and fauna.

A.K.A The Silk Tree - I've always wanted to know the name of this particular tree. There was a large specimen of this species growing behind the fence of the parking lot of my apartment building in Kearny when I was a little kid.

The flowers are incredibly fragrant and every time I see or smell one, it reminds me of those years.

This tree grows up to 40ft and blossoms in late spring and all summer. Its blooms are usually hot pink, and wispy. The leaves themselves are fern-like. In the fall, it drops pods. The tree is very hardy, resist even to drought. Some gardeners feel negatively towards the Mimosa tree because it is hard to control and spreads quickly.

But they're all jerks. This tree is awesome.

0 comments: