Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Memory Lane

I just found the address of my elementary school in Kearny, NJ. I was actually surprised to find that the 6 blocks from Schuyler all the way to my old apartment building are all covered by google maps. I 'walked' the old way using the maps and from the looks of it, it hasn't changed much at all save for a few trees here and there I remember.

Its bizarre, but now I know I can go back and expect to recognize it all. I walked that way everyday between the ages of 5 and 7. I remember it so clearly, and seeing it from a camera view like that just makes it all flood back. All the random moments, the way certain fences look from my 6 year old line of vision, and how the shade of trees would hit streets differently in the early morning vs in the afternoon right after school... just wow...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Friday,
Sorry, subject hi-jack, but I wanted to share a thought or two.

I was Googling images trying to find photos of Poison Ivy because it is a new plague in my life. Your photo lead me to your blog and I loved and appreciated what you had to say about it.

I was fascinated by your blog and decided to read a little more. Good stuff. Some noble, most funny, all interesting.

Anywho, I have a couple of suggestions to help you accomplish #53 and #95 at the same time. Plan a two and a half week vacation in Huntington Beach, CA. On your first day, spend 4 hours of the morning at http://www.brewbakers1.com/ brewing beer. They are a "brew on premise" and have everything you need (a batch is 7 cases). They have more than enough recipes to help you find the right beer for your taste buds. You can sample some of other peoples before you brew. It takes about two weeks to ferment, so enjoy the real OC for a couple of weeks. Go to Disneyland, and Newport Beach - John Wayne's last home town, and "Surf City" Huntington Beach. Go to the art galleries in Laguna Beach and maybe catch an art festival, or two or three. Visit Knotts Berry Farm... hey they have Camp Snoopy. There are plenty of things to do in OC, so no need to go to LA or Hollyweird.

After your beer batch is fully fermented comes the fun part - bottling day. Of course you have to sample the batch as you bottle it. You can get pizza there to go with it. Oh, and make sure to create your own beer bottle label art in advance. Use a jpg and put it on a thumb drive. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with their artwork. If I were you, I'd arrange to ship my beer back UPS ground or something. That way you have your own personal stash and personal beer with your labels make great holiday presents for friends and family.

Cheers,
John